OBT EXISTS BECAUSE OF YOU
Ticket sales account for only 48% of Oregon Ballet Theatre's annual operating budget, so we rely on the generosity of corporations, foundations and individual donors to close the gap. Our donors are an integral part of the OBT family; without them, we would not be able to present world-class ballet, provide training of the highest caliber to aspiring dancers and bring the arts to underserved school children in the Portland metro area.
There are many ways to give. No matter how large or small your gift, we welcome you into our family. We hope you'll relish every performance, every lecture and every experience, knowing that OBT exists because of you. Your generous support fuels every aspect of OBT:
WHAT CAN I GIVE TO OBT?
We offer numerous options for investing in OBT. Please consider the various ways to give:
Dancer's Circle ($100 - $1,999)
Pointe Society ($2,000 - $9,999)
Director's Circle ($10,000 - $24,999)
Tour de Force ($25,000 and above)
Jacqueline Martin Schumacher Endowment Fund
OBT is proud to partner with the business community. Corporate contributions are an investment not only in OBT, but also in the cultural vibrancy of our community. Learn more about our corporate opportunities and partners.
YOUR SUPPORT KEEPS US DANCING
OBT exists because of your generosity and support. As active members of our organization we want you to be informed about every aspect of the organization.
YOUR SUPPORT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE
Producing a ballet involves an enormous amount of behind-the-scenes work, advance planning, and resources. Ballet companies contract 2-5 years in advance with theaters, and frequently have an artistic schedule sketched out 5 years into the future.
We strive to put as much back into performances and programs as possible. Your support makes the difference.
- Last season over 70,000 people attended OBT performances, and an additional 26,000 students and adults participated in OBT Education and Outreach Programs.
- Currently, over 200 students are enrolled in the School of Oregon Ballet Theatre, with an additional 100 adults consistently attending our morning drop-in and evening workshop classes.
DID YOU KNOW?
A lot of planning and resources go into producing an OBT ballet. Production costs include: licensing and repetiteur
fees, design fees, and music rights. Production costs do not include the dancers’ rehearsal time, stage hand time, rental fees for theater and costumes, staff time, etc.
- Production costs for a ballet like Lambarena come to $25,000.
- Production costs for world premiere ballets ranges from $100,000 to $2,000,000.
Pictured: Nicolo Fonte choreographing the world premiere of his Bolero (February 2008).
POINTE SHOE FACTS
One pair of pointe shoes costs about $80 and typically lasts for only 8-12 hours.
- Last year alone OBT purchased over 1,500 pairs of pointe shoes at a cost of $120,000.
- All OBT dancers wear shoes from FREED of London, the world’s premiere pointe shoe manufacturer. Cobblers at FREED custom craft our dancers’ shoes to suit each ballerina’s particular specifications and preferences.
- A Principal Dancer will often wear one new pair of shoes in every single performance. For very demanding roles, like Odette/Odile, it is not unusual for a ballerina to go through multiple pairs of shoes in one evening.
- Pointe shoes are constructed with layers of Satin Burlap, tissue paper, flour paste, reinforced cardboard and leather.
- Young dancers must study ballet for 4-5 years before going en pointe; it requires a great deal of strength in the legs, ankles and feet as well as strong turnout. Most young dancers get their first pair of pointe shoes around the age of 11 or 12.
Every tutu takes approximately 140 hours to make by hand and costs about $2,000.
- One tutu requires about 120 yards of tulle – if you lay it out, that’s longer than a football field.
- In 2008, OBT made 22 new tutus, which cost the company over $44,000.
Pictured Right: Underside of tutu built by OBT's Wardrobe Department for Yuri Possokhov's Raymonda (June 2008).
OBT partners with members of the Allegro Society to provide a Physical Therapy Program for all company dancers, bringing some of Portland’s best chiropractors, physical therapists, acupuncturists and massage therapists to the studio and theater to treat injuries and manage injury prevention. Learn about the Allegro Society.
TAX ID# 93-1009305
WAYS TO DONATE
Make a contribution quickly and conveniently by credit card through Ticketmaster's secure website.
Print and complete a donation form and submit to:
Oregon Ballet Theatre
818 SE Sixth Street
Portland, OR 97214
Print a donation form
We are happy to guide you through the donation process. Call us at 503.227.0977.
Fax us at 503.227.4186. Fax to Attention: Development Department.
Tis Best Charity Gift Cards